In partnership with the California Community Colleges Classified Senate (4CS), the annual institute focuses on effective classified participation in participatory (shared) governance processes, both state-wide and at the local district and college levels.
2018 CLASSIFIED LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE
2018 Classified Leadership Institute is currently SOLD OUT. If you would like to have your name placed on a waiting list, we will notify you if there is a cancellation and space becomes available. Please contact Karen Graham at email@example.com if you would like to be placed on the waiting list.
Thursday, June 14, 2018
8:00 a.m. Registration Opens
8:00 a.m. Opportunity Drawing Open
8:00 a.m. Elections Open
8:00 a.m. Photo Booth Opens
9:00 a.m. Newcomer Session
10:00 a.m. Welcome & Opening General Session: Leadership Dr. Jowel Laguerre, Chancellor, CCD
12:00 p.m. Buffet Lunch
1:15 p.m. Concurrent Sessions
2:30 p.m. Concurrent Sessions
5:30 p.m. Spirit Social Hour
6:30 p.m. Dinner on your own
Friday, June 15, 2018
7:30 a.m. Buffet Breakfast / Senate President Breakfast
8:45 a.m. General Session: Guided Pathways: Laura Hope, Vice Chancellor of Educational Services
10:15 a.m. Opportunity Drawing Opens
10:15 a.m. Elections Open
10:30 a.m. Concurrent Sessions
12:00 p.m. Buffet Lunch
1:15 p.m. Concurrent Sessions
2:30 p.m. Concurrent Sessions
5:30 p.m. President’s Hosted Social Hour
6:30 p.m. Awards Dinner
8:30 p.m. Music and Dancing
Saturday, June 16, 2018
7:30 a.m. Buffet Breakfast
8:30 a.m. 4CS Annual Business Meeting
9:30 a.m. General Session: Legislative Update
10:30 a.m. Review of 2018 & Building CLI 2019
11:30 a.m. Conference Closes
12:30 p.m. 4CS Executive Board Meeting
- General session and motivational speakers
- Breakout sessions focusing on leadership tools, senate building, professional development, state initiatives and shared governance resources
- Opportunity drawing and college memento exchange
- Ample networking opportunities
- Presentation of awards and recognitions
- Legislative & budget updates
- 4CS Annual Board Meeting
- College Spirit Competition
4CS Business Meeting - The California Community Colleges Classified Senate (4CS) will be holding their annual business meeting, swearing in officers and acting on various items on Saturday, June 16. The Business Meeting is open to all classified staff of the California Community Colleges. Registration for the conference is not necessary to attend only the 4CS Business Meeting. Opportunity Drawing – This year there will be a change to the annual 4CS Silent Auction, we will be having an opportunity drawing where attendees can purchase opportunity drawing tickets and place them in the container for items of their choice. The purpose of the opportunity drawing is to raise funds to support the operations of the 4CS. Please also consider bringing something to donate to the 4CS opportunity drawing either as an individual or from your senate. If you need more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selfie Activity – The Selfie Activity will consist of 1 or more members; attendees can sign-up during registration where they will receive requirements for the photos.
Memento Exchange - Individual participants are encouraged to bring a memento that is representative of their college to exchange with other participants. The memento exchange is designed to encourage networking and interaction between participants.
Dress for the conference is casual. Temperatures in Ventura Beach in June average low’s in 60’s, highs in the 75’s and can have evening winds. It’s a good idea to bring a sweater or light jacket for early mornings or evenings, and pay attention to forecasts prior to travel to be prepared for unseasonable weather changes. If interested in an early morning walk along the beach, please bring appropriate shoes and clothing.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION PROGRAM
2018 Outstanding Classified Staff Recognition Program. Our goal is to include and recognize all classified staff that have received an award between June 2017 through May 2018. With your help, they will be included in our slide presentation during the Classified Leadership Institute 2018 and on our website following the event. The award submissions will be collected online. Please forward this information to others on your campus who can submit awardees. For additional information please email Shondra West at email@example.com.
The Awards Dinner dress is at your discretion; some participants like to take the opportunity to dress up.
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU
- Your good humor and a flexible disposition. Remember this is not a “traditional” conference.
- Senate delegates, remember to bring a copy of your completed delegate form. New senates and senates with revised constitutions and/or bylaws, please bring an updated copy for our records.
- Senate leaders, please be ready to participate in discussions concerning statewide governance and contribute your local concerns and wishes. Please bring examples of local senate activities, newsletters, resolutions and documents to share with others and the 4CS Governance Library.
- Enough money or a credit card to cover additional costs during the conference (drinks during the social hour (cash), shuttle costs, other incidental expense, items in the 4CS Opportunity Drawing and themed basket drawing).
- Please make your travel arrangements with the beginning and end of the conference in mind, 12pm Saturday, so you do not miss final events and drawing.
Please contact the following for information on:
- Conference Hotel - Additional information about the conference site is available at http://www.cpventura.com / Reservations: 800-842-0800, CCLC/CLI Block
- Registration - Karen Graham, Community College League of California, (916) 444-8641 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLASSIFIED LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE 2018 CONFERENCE CHAIRS/COORDINATORS
- Trisha Albertsen: email@example.com (909) 652-6033
- Dawn Bridge: firstname.lastname@example.org (951) 487-3396
- Ernie Garcia: email@example.com (599) 442-8231
- Karen Martin: firstname.lastname@example.org (949) 451-5294
- Linda Allen: email@example.com (650) 738-7107
- Noha Basilious: firstname.lastname@example.org (925) 969-2016
4CS Executive Board members: http://www.ccccs.org
Additional information may be emailed to you as we come closer to the conference start. If you have questions, feel free to contact the League at (916) 444-2954 or any of the 4CS Executive Board members. Contact information is available on the 4CS website: http://www.ccccs.org.
The Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach is situated on a highly scenic stretch of the Central California Coast with spectacular ocean views from guest rooms and public areas. Guest rooms have been reserved at the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach at rate of $199/$229 per night, dependent on the nights booked.
Reservations by Phone: 800-842-0800, CCLC/CLI Block
Online Reservations (room block $199/$229): https://aws.passkey.com/e/49357408?mode=find-res
The contracted room rates are guaranteed only if reservations are made on or before May 21, 2018. Reservations made after that date are on a space available basis only.
If you plan to bring family members, please be sure to reserve a single room. If more than one room is needed, please book the additional room(s) directly with the hotel and not within the CLI room block. Family members are not included in reservations for CLI meals, so please plan for their meals separately.
Explore the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach hotel and the surrounding areas. The hotel is adjacent to Ventura’s historic pier and is within walking distance of historic downtown Ventura and AMTRAK. This full service beachfront hotel offers rooms and suites with ocean views and balconies, and an oceanfront swimming pool.
The conference fee (paid to CCLC) covers conference registration costs, facilities, and all scheduled meals. Lodging fees cover hotel room and access to hotel services. Please understand that the CLI room block is limited and that rooms are available and reserved for conference participants only. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach Hotel is located in the beautiful Central California Coast between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara. Located near the northern end of Ventura County which gives it quick access to 101 Ventura Highway which can take you too many Southern and Central California destinations and attractions.
Ventura Beach is just an hour up the coast from Los Angeles, (halfway between Malibu and Santa Barbara). Air travel to and from Ventura is available via Oxnard Airport, with Los Angeles and Burbank airports an hour’s drive away. Shuttle, taxi and rental car service are available.
Parking – Parking is complimentary at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach for attendees of the Classified Leadership Institute.
From Santa Barbara Municipal Airport
- Turn right onto Moffett Pl
- Continue onto Sandspit Rd
- Merge onto CA-217 E/State Route 217 E
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for US-101 S and merge onto US-101 S
- Take exit 70A for Ventura Ave toward California St
- Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Thompson Blvd/Fairgrounds and merge onto E Thompson Blvd
- Turn right onto Figueroa St
- Take the 1st left onto E Harbor Blvd Destination will be on the right
From Los Angeles International Airport
- Take the I-405 N ramp to Sacramento
- Take exit 63B to merge onto US-101 N toward Ventura
- Take exit 70A for California St.
- Turn left onto S California St.
- Turn right onto E Harbor Blvd Destination will be on the left
From Burbank Bob Hope Airport
- Turn right to merge onto I-5 N
- Take exit 156A toward CA-118 W
- Take exit 18B for CA-23 N/CA-118 W/Los Angeles Ave
- Turn right onto CA-118 W/Los Angeles Ave
- Merge onto CA-126 W via the ramp to Ventura
- Merge onto US-101 N
- Take exit 70A for California St
- Turn left onto S California St
- Turn right onto E Harbor Blvd Destination will be on the right