Aspiring CEO Program
The Aspiring CEO Program is designed to identify and prepare future California Community College CEOs through the process of self-assessment and skill development.
The nine-month program is scheduled from April to December with regular cohort check-ins. You should apply if you are exploring the possibility of transitioning into a CEO position at a California Community College.
Program participants will learn about:
- Readiness for the CEO Position through Personal Inventory and Skills Assessments
- How to Research Potential CEO Positions
- The Application Process
- Interviewing and Public Forums
- Negotiating The CEO Contract
Applications will be accepted now through Friday, April 9th, or until space fills (limited to 30). Email notifications will be sent on Monday, April 19.
Program Start Date: April 26, 2021
Module 1: Self Awareness: Executive Composition
- Cohort Convenes: April 26, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. for program orientation and initial assignment [due May 31st] to sample your executive writing acumen. Your sample will be reviewed by program faculty and you will be provided with valuable feedback and insights to maximize your skills in this area.
Module 2: Self-Assessment: Executive Compatibility
- Cohort Convenes: June 11, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. to explore your pre-program self-assessment results with a certified trainer who will interpret the results of your profile to illuminate your preferred thinking patterns and how they are expressed given your behavioral preferences. This understanding will inform your evolving management style as you progress through the program.
Module 3: Becoming Mission Ready: Research and Development
- Cohort Convenes: July 16, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. to explore best practices for developing an effective application packet that gets you noticed. An emphasis on curating your online presence and researching potential positions will be provided by leading executive recruiters.
Module 4: Reading Between the Lines: What the Job Announcement Won’t Say
- Cohort Convenes: August 20, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. for a frank discussion with seasoned administrators and search consultants about the realities of sizing up a future employer. Proven tactics for interviewing and public forums will be covered and their insights might prevent you from investing hours of work on an application to nowhere.
Module 5: Congratulations! You Got the Job [Part One]
- Cohort Convenes: September 24, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. to discuss the nuances of an initial offer and related logistics around the board approval process. Again we will turn to the experts and rely on our recruiters and search consultants, working with experienced CEOs and Trustees to guide the way.
Module 6: Congratulations! You Got the Job [Part Two]
- Cohort Convenes: October 29, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. to help you negotiate your first contract and uncover strategies for contract renewals. This is a critical part of the program and a case-study approach will help you understand how a good contract can mean a long and happy tenure.
Module 7: The Honeymoon Period: How Executive Coaching Enhances Your Success
- Cohort Convenes: November 19, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. to hear from an executive coach and our seasoned CEO faculty about some of the real-world scenarios where the expertise of an effective coach could have made the difference between success and failure.
Module 8: Executive Comprehension: Defining Your Own Path
- You deliver your final “Readiness Assessment and Skills Development Plan” incorporating the lessons of the program. Program Faculty will provided feedback and mentoring as necessary.
We are pleased to announce Dr. Christine J. McPhail will be a facilitator for The Aspiring CEO Program.
Dr. McPhail was recently appointed President at Saint Augustine’s University in Raleigh, North Carolina. She is a nationally recognized, well-respected thought leader in higher education and previously served as president for Cypress College. Read her full bio.
Participants in the Aspiring CEO Program will receive a cognitive profile and skill-assessment by Dr. McPhail who is a Certified Associate for Emergenetics International, an organizational development company that uses psychometric research and behavioral studies to advise and consult with businesses and individuals on how to maximize human performance. This assessment will identify participants' behavioral and cognitive attributes to help them increase self-understanding and insight into how to improve their ability to lead and work with others.