Newly Elected and Appointed Trustees: Next Steps
Congratulations on becoming a member of one of California’s community college governing boards. You will find many rewards and challenges in carrying out your responsibilities. The Community College League of California (League) is committed to supporting trustee education for excellence in leadership and governance.
The most important League event for new trustees is the Effective Trusteeship Workshop (ETW) in January. It is the single best overview of responsibilities required for board members of California Community Colleges. State leaders on accreditation and governance and experienced trustees will provide comprehensive information on the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective trustee.
The Annual Legislative Conference is part of the ETW weekend and provides a unique opportunity to connect with other advocates and learn the latest news on the state budget and economic outlook for California. Attendees will also learn about new members of legislative committees, legislative proposals affecting colleges and student learning, and advocacy strategies for the current legislative year. You will also have the opportunity to meet personally with members of the Assembly and Senate.
The League offers a certificate program in trusteeship. The Excellence in Trusteeship Program is “designed to facilitate the ongoing education of all trustees in California community colleges by providing a solid foundation for effective board governance”. There are multiple pathways to complete the 9-competency, 27-unit, 1-year program that supports the accreditation requirement for continuing board development. The program has been vetted by the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) and the Accrediting Commission of Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC).
- Enroll in the Excellence in Trusteeship Program
- Register for the Effective Trusteeship Workshop, January 20-22, 2021, Virtual Event
- Register for the Annual Legislative Conference, January 25-26, 2021, Virtual Event
Before attending the workshop and conference it will be most beneficial if you are able to read and review as much of the following as possible:
- Introduction to Fiscal Responsibilities (Access Password: ETP8.13.2020)
- Introduction to Brown Act >> Segment 1 | Segment 2 | Segment 3 | Segment 4 | Segment 5 | Segment 6 | Segment 7
- Trustees Guide to Commonly Used Terms in California Community Colleges
- Trusteeship – Tasks, Knowledge and Skills
- Different Jobs, Different Tasks: Board and CEO Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation Standards for Governing Boards
- CCLC Commission on the Future Report
- Chancellor's Office Call to Action Letter, June 2020
- Vision for Success DEI Report
- Rosenberg's Rules of Order: Simple Rules of Parliamentary Procedure for the 21st Century, Revised 2011
Open Meeting Law (Brown Act) Resources
- OPEN & PUBLIC IV: A Guide to the Ralph M. Brown Act (2nd Edition, Revised July 2010) The Brown Act and the Perils of Electronic Communication, Western City magazine, June 2011
- The Ralph M. Brown Act Firsthand, Western City magazine, February 1999
- Local Agency Electronic Media Use and California Public Records Law